OUT OF STOCK
ROCK MACHINERY ATV CHAIN HARROW & ATV DRAG HARROW
8ft heavy duty ATV chain drag harrows are excellent for paddocks, arenas, and that sort of thing. They can be used either with ATV’S, UTVS and compact tractors and they are ideal ATV attachments & compact tractor attachments for sale.
Rock Machinery we pride themselves on producing equipment to a good standard.
Our ATV chain harrow and ATV drag harrow range is designed to cover all purposes from large farms, smallholdings and equestrian venues to games fields.
Harrowing should be conducted as part of any pasture management programme, in the spring preferably after grazing in conjunction with rolling and before any fertilizer application.
Chain harrows were originally designed to work behind horses and it is best done at walking pace (between 3 and 4 mph) which was the average working speed of a horse.
Harrowing removes dead thatch lifts vegetation up and levels any mole hills. Its job is to allow air movement and root aeration which helps the soil to breathe and improves water infiltration. It reduces disease by exposing fungi and bacteria to sunlight which is essential for the health of the pasture.
Timing is critical and ideally harrowing should be undertaken in dry, warm conditions, as this allows the harrowed droppings to dry out and kill any parasites.
- Chain harrows can also be used in arable conditions for seed bed preparation and covering seed after drilling.
- When used on sports fields they are very effective at removing and spreading worm casts and ripping out moss.
- Chain harrows can be used for levelling all weather race tracks and indoor or outdoor jumping arenas and maneges.
- Reasons for harrowing include:
- Pasture renovation; breaking up and levelling heavy soil.
- Removal of dead grass from the base of healthy grass.
- Helping to remove lightly rooted weeds.
- Root aeration; for better water infiltration and growth.
- Works in fertilizer to both spread and maximize effectiveness.
- Surface levelling in equestrian centres, race tracks, and running tracks.
- Stimulates growth by aerating and tearing out thatch.
- Environmentally friendly grass care.
- Seed bed preparation.
- Excellent for ripping out moss, spreading manure, and levelling molehills.
What is a harrow?
In agriculture, a harrow (often called a set of harrows in a plurale tantum sense) is an implement for breaking up and smoothing out the surface of the soil. In this way it is distinct in its effect from the plough, which is used for deeper tillage. Harrowing is often carried out on fields to follow the rough finish left by plowing operations. The purpose of this harrowing is generally to break up clods (lumps of soil) and to provide a finer finish, a good tilth or soil structure that is suitable for seedbed use. Coarser harrowing may also be used to remove weeds and to cover seed after sowing. Harrows differ from cultivators in that they disturb the whole surface of the soil, such as to prepare a seedbed, instead of disturbing only narrow trails that skirt crop rows (to kill weeds).
There are four general types of harrows: disc harrows, tine harrows (including spring-tooth harrows, drag harrows, and spike harrows), chain harrows, and chain-disk harrows. Harrows were originally drawn by draft animals, such as horses, mules, or oxen, or in some times and places by manual labourers. In modern practice they are almost always tractor-mounted implements, either trailed after the tractor by a drawbar or mounted on the three-point hitch.
If you are interested in this ATV chain harrow and ATV drag harrow please call us on 01673 828 965 today.